In loving memory - my darling Dad

April 04, 2013

 
My darling Dad, John Patrick Hingston, died yesterday morning.  He was diagnosed five months and three days ago with Stage IV lung cancer after heading to hospital with some shortness of breath.  My Dad smoked most of his adult life.  I never saw my Dad smoke.  It was something he was not proud of and an addiction he did not want people to see.  Of course we all knew and although we didn't like it, we accepted it because we loved him. 

My Dad was an amazing man - an amazing husband and father to six very proud children.  He was a teacher who inspired so many students and when I look at the life he lead I feel so proud of what he has achieved.  He lived a life of simple values and lived his life right.  He was a loving man, a funny man, an extremely intelligent man, a fun Grandpa and such an amazingly wonderful person. 

My dad turned sixty five two months ago and we had an amazing celebration for his birthday where he shared great conversations with friends and family and where he also heard many affirming things about himself.  This was such a fabulous opportunity for him and us.  He also shared a special day with us at my sister's wedding just two and half weeks ago.  We were all so fortunate that he was well enough to enjoy in such a magical day.

I love my Dad and will miss him incredibly.  I am so glad to be here with my amazing family.
 
John Patrick Hingston
3/2/1948 - 3/4/2013
 
 

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Oh Suz, I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful tribute to an obviously deeply adored man. Please know that you are in my thoughts. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing we can tell can make you feel better, I think.

    All I can say is even if tears are coming even 2-3 years after, it is very important to know that we have loved and have been loved. It is important to have had the time to say that to each other, to feel it if it was not said. And I think it is the case for you all when I read your message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry suz, take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Suz I am so sorry to hear this news. So glad he was able to enjoy those recent celebrations with you all. Take care, I'm thinking of you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what awful news. I'm so sorry for your great loss, dear friend. I'll be thinking of you and your family over the coming weeks.
    Sending hugs.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very sorry for your loss, I hope you are able to enjoy and think about your good times together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss, Suz. Your father sounds like he was a great man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about your loss Suz. All my thoughts and a big hug for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...I am so terribly sorry, Suz....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful legacy your dad has left. so sorry to hear of ur loss, i hope and pray that u and ur loved ones can comfort each other today and in the days ahead.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear this news. Thinking of you and Julia at this time. My mum died on the same day 2001. Time has flown but memories are just as vivid

    Kim from the toy library

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sorry for your loss. What a gorgeous photo and heart felt post. Hoping your whole family can support each other during this difficult time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all your comments x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to read this, what a terrible loss for you and your family. You are in my thoughts. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry to read this. You talk so nicely about your father. Thinking of you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found your blog. So sorry for your loss. There are no words to make it better, but you'll be in my prayers.


    melle @www.featheredruffles.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼