Juliette's birthday dress

May 02, 2013

 
Today Juliette turned three years old.  This is her birthday dress.  I had lots of fun drafting my first (hand drawn) pattern - The Perennial Dress, but wanted to challenge myself and attempt a digital pattern.  The 'mini pinnie' is my new design.  I am going to make a variation on the dress also with a tunic option with larger piped bib pocket (more creations to follow in the coming weeks!)
 
 
It features piped shoulder detail with a faux strap with button.
 

The back has an invisible zipper...I finally fit one successfully - notice it is...invisible!  I bought a new invisible zipper foot which properly rolled out the zip so that it was concealed fully. 

 
The pocket tops are also piped (I made the piping with piping cord and homemade bias binding).


It was pretty cool this morning when I took these shots, so Juliette is smiling through clenched teeth!


I wanted a 1970's feel and so chose this Hokkoh Japanese retro print I found at my local Spotlight.


 
With tights and a cardi, the dress will be great for cooler days too.
 

Happy Birthday my big grown up girl!!

Joining up at Our Creative Spaces today.
 

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. What a pretty dress! You're so clever! I love the tights, hat and cardie with it too. What a cool outfit!!! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Juliette! A sweet dress for a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress and birthday girl! I am scared of regular zippers so I am not sure I could do an invisable one but now I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine:) the invisible zip was super easy to fit with the right foot. Give it a go!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, sweetie!
    Love the new dress - it's so cool! (gorgeous styling, as usual)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!

    Love the new dress - perfect fabric for it

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic Suz! Gotta love an invisible zipper - they always make things look so much slicker. Love it in the winter assemble too, super cute! : )

    ps. Thanks for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations with your little girl's birthday! Such a beautiful new dress and I guess she is really happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Juliette!

    Love the dress...especially that piping on the shoulder.;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress and the piping. The fabric is stunning. I was delighted to see you to it at Spotlight. Will have to see if I can find some at mine. I'd love to make a dress like this for my girl. It's beautiful. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your dress! I like the idea of pinafores with skivvies (I guess that outs me as a child of the 70s), and can't wait until my little one is walking so I can get her into some. Looks like you've got the pockets spot-on for collecting things/hand warming on mornings like today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Suz, im so happy to have discovered your blog! Your kiddy clothes are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you have to warning some sort of long term contract, it really is well-advised which you look at in which agreement
    to see anything that stands out. Make the process of
    ordering be stress-free to complete at all times as possible.
    A skilled SEO campaigner knows to ease out a complex site and re-structure
    it to suit real users as well as search engines.

    Feel free to visit my homepage :: hypnosis for anxiety ()

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼