Flip this pattern: Tinny dress

August 02, 2013

Since first discovering landscape and pastoral fabrics being used in dresses via my friend An from StraightGrain (have you seen this dress?), I have been wanting to make one up for one of my girls.  I also recently saw this beautiful dress by Trine from Groovybaby and mama, and thought, "right, that's it! I am making one!!"  I found this beautiful fabric (called Morning Meadow by Wilmington Prints) last weekend at a local quilting store and then wondered which pattern I would use to create my landscape dress.  Perfect - An's Tinny dress pattern!  Then I can join in with the awesome series, Flip this pattern:)  You might have seen my first Tinny dress when I guest posted on An's blog in June.  I loved the pattern and was keen to make it again. 

So Flip this pattern is a fun sewing series hosted by Ashley and Emily at FrancesSuzanne (two sisters who sew).  In their series, sewers are invited to take one pattern per month and 'flip' it or modify it however they like.  There are 12 patterns on the year long series calendar.  There are great prizes to win too. 
 
So in deciding to flip the tinny dress, I did not want to flip it beyond recognition.  I wanted it to still be recognisable as a tinny dress but with some changes that would really show off the fabric.  And since landscape print dresses are truly Belgian style, I thought the tinny pattern paired with this lovely fabric would be a great combination.  This is how I 'flipped' StraightGrain's gorgeous Tinny pattern:


Edit: if you want to swap an invisible zipper for an exposed zipper, you will need to account for the added width the exposed zipper creates in the width of the bodice back.  My zip added 2cm (3/4") to the back bodice width.  I accounted for this by cutting 1cm (3/8") from the centre back edge of each back bodice piece.  If you are using a metal zipper, you will break your sewing needle if you try to sew over the teeth!  I hand stitched the skirt at the point where the zip and skirt meet.
So I am loving this dress....
Can you believe it is winter here? It was over 20 degrees last week.  We have had beautiful weather this week, and Issie doesn't need an excuse to pull of her cardigan.
 She loves the dress too and has quickly name it her 'tree dress'.


 My beautiful girl turned the big five last week!! Don't grow up too quick!!
 

You Might Also Like

35 comments

  1. Your version is pretty darned perfect. Love everything about it, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. The fabric is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this dress, fantastic Flip ... and a big happy birthday to your little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your version of the dress with that fabric. And your daughter is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful fabric and a dress! And happy birthday, Issie! My old one turns five in October too! SO fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea to flip a pattern! I mean, we do it all the time so why not?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress, pattern and photo shoots! well done Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, my silly phone ate half my comment. It looks like your daughter loves her dress. I love the effect of the pink ribbon against the green fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovelly!
    That fabric is gorgeous and the dress fits so nicely your daughter.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet! The bright pink ribbon really gives the dress a happy finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely fabric
    lovely dress
    lovely pics

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that fabric!!! Adorable pics of your girl, too. I think I need to do a little google search for landscape faric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. Yeah I think this type of fabric in dresses is so beautiful:)

      Delete
  13. Love your flip! And that fabric is just so pretty. The pink ribbon gives it the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, this is gorgeous! I love the print, the girl (5!!), and the pink ribbon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress and the daughter are both georgious !!!
    I love landscape fabric....but, yeah....I'm from Belgium...;)


    Deborasluijs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooooooh Suz I LOVE your flip! Needless to say, the fabric is totally my taste :-). The pink ribbon really finishes it off. And I love all the small changes you made to the pattern - it's a flip, but still a Tinny. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks an!! I'm so glad you like it!!!:))

      Delete
  17. Your 'flip' is just perfect to showcase that fabric! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How beautiful Suz! The fabric and the dress are so pretty! But your daughter makes it even prettier! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful Suz! I love it all. But that exposed metal zipper I think is my favorite detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very "Belgium-esque"....is that even a word??? So glad to hear the 'tree dress' is a winner for your child!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing..
    The girl is so cute,and the dress is beautiful...

    Pu-erh

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definitely need some ladscape fabric now. There is such a lovely simplicity about the whole look. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼