Project Run & Play//Week 3: Mad for Plaid

September 24, 2013


So last week I said I was not going to sew along with Week 3 of Project Run & Play...well, I changed my mind!! This was not what I would have sewn up if I were still in the competition.  As I said in this post, I was going to make Isabella a muted plaid fitted duffle coat with a fur trimmed hood.  A bit like this one.  Underneath she would have worn a blue velveteen Debbie tunic with plaid collar and trim and a matching plaid skirt.  But...it's spring her and today was 25 degrees!!  So, I will be making up my original idea next year, and for  now, a plaid swimsuit and hat was a good idea for my little Emily! 


When I first started brainstorming ideas for this week a month or so ago, vintage style plaid bathers with swimming caps for my girls was one of my ideas.  But plaid lycra?  Hard to find!! I did find an awesome range at an online shop in the UK but they were going to charge 30 pounds to send 1 metre of fabric!! I was not that committed to the cause, so I put the plaid bathers idea to rest.  Last week I happened upon this plaid/houndstooth spandex at The Fabric Store, and then I decided I would make up the bathers anyway, since Emily does not have a pair.

 
These bathers were unpicked in varying places about three times, but luckily you can't tell!  I originally wanted a ruffle along the top, but it went all wobbly when I top stitched, so unpick, unpick, unpick, and I went for a plain white band instead.  I added little plaid bows with buttons at the straps for fun.  I used the bathers pattern from Ottobre magazine - Summer 2009.  I shortened the body a little for Emily.


Ow.....how cute is this tummy???


The back is crossed (the two lumps you can see on Emily's back are not budding fairy wings, they are the straps that I hadn't cut down yet - I was in a hurry!)


The hat is from the same Ottobre magazine as the bathers.  The fabric is thrifted (and happens to be from the Aunt Grace collection - circa 1995).
I have used this pattern before, but I am not overly happy with the shape I achieved in the crown.  Ottobre patterns require seam allowances to be added - something you shouldn't do roughly when drawing out a hat pattern...Emily doesn't mind though! 
So I am happy to have some bathers and a hat for little Emily for our warmer months ahead!! 
 
For more plaid goodness, have a look here!

You Might Also Like

34 comments

  1. Oh I love that. It's a very original on plaid! Great job. She looks very happy in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too : ), I love this too! The little bows are adorable and the shape of the front is just as cute. Love the fairy wings comment, I did giggle : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toddler tummy is soooooo cute! As are these bathers. I'm sure they'll get lots of wear this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And great to make something Emily can wear right now in this gorgeous weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Suz! I love the buttons and bows too. Emily's serious face cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's sooo cute! Love to see her in the finished Mara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just too sweet. that little tummy! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely!
    Today we are having our first autumn day: it's gray and a bit cooler...

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great on Emily's sweet baby tummy :) Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those photos are unbelievably cute!!! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding me with this?? OMG I love it, how adorable! Cute suit + wellies = keel over! I also adore her way short bangs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the cuteness! Child and suit :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. super-cute! love the bows and the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My two year old was sitting next to me, as I was scrolling through this post. She kept saying things like, "Cute baby, Go swimming, So cold, Next year? Sweet little baby." Any way she was impressed and so am I
    way to go Momma!
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suz, this is so adorable! The plaid gives it a very retro feel. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cutie! Love the retro feel of the suit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. cuteness!!!! hey, I've started a sewing for kids group pinterest board! I would love for you to join... just shoot me an e-mail with your pinterest info if you are interested :o) I'm on pinterest at ntcreations.e-mail: nap-timecreations@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Extremely cute! Vintage vibe suits your girls so well

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this suit--you'd never find one like it in a store! And there's pretty much nothing cuter than little ones in their swimsuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh. My. Stars!!! Killing me with cuteness..... You are a brave woman: conquering swimwear!! Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Love that you thought out of the plaid box! Love those chubby little bubby knees, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thankyou!! She is pretty delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a darling bathing suit and an even more darling little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh so cute! Love it :) can't wait to see your duffle coat too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so glad you changed your mind and sewed along...this swimsuit is ADORABLE!!!! Love it!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼