Selfish Sewing Week//Garment One: Bimaa Hack

September 21, 2013

 
So I am doing some sewing for myself this week.  Inspired by Selfish Sewing Week (organised by Rachael from Imagine Gnats and Jill from Made with Moxie).  Basically, Selfish Sewing Week is an impetus to get sewing bloggers to sew for themselves instead of just their kids!!  This has come at just the right time for me...I have been wanting to sew up a few things for myself for ages so here is my first garment.  Selfish Sewing Week officially starts on Monday, but this post is ready now, so I am posting it!
 
After having recently being generously given the awesome Bimaa Sweater pattern by Sarah from EmmyLouBeeDoo (for her upcoming pattern tour), I decided to have a go at making a 'grown up' version of the pattern. 
 
 
I found this lovely red and ivory striped super stretchy viscose/spandex stripe and thought it would suit an adult more than a child.  I used one of my stretchy long sleeved tops to trace the basic pattern and used Sarah's pattern as a guide on how to cut the big cowl.  Since this fabric was super stretchy, it was very forgiving in letting me ease the neck and cowl edges together.  I sewed the whole top with my overlocker (serger)...I have never done that before - it was cool!  No skipped stitches or stitches breaking when I pulled the garment on and off. The only downside of constructing the top like this was that I couldn't make a mistake, unless I wanted to unpick four rows of intertwined stitching.  But luckily, I had a win and made no mistakes. 

I love how this top turned out.  It is super comfy, easy to wear and a little bit stylish...which is something I need more of in my wardrobe!!  I hope to make and blog two more garments for Selfish sewing week - a Batwing t-shirt from some thrifted retro poly/cotton and a gathered blue and white seersucker skirt with big pockets and a little button placket.  I will be adding this project to the Selfish Sewing flickr pool - check it out for some grown up sewing inspiration!!
 
Note: This post is short on pics since Isabella (my five year old) was my chief photographer and mostly took photos of my head and neck due to her being half my size (the above pic is not fab of me with my half smile, but it is one of the few decent ones I had to choose from). 
 
And as an important aside, I want to sincerely thank everyone who took the time to comment on my Lovely Lollipop Dress.  It made my week!!
 
Are you doing some selfish sewing this week?

You Might Also Like

34 comments

  1. This is so cute on you! Such a great idea to take inspiration from a children's pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! Love the stripes
    Looking forward to the rest of your Selfish Sewing posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. This top is great - love the stripes. Can empathise with the 5yo photographer, I have one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee.. Less embarrassing posing for a five year old than an adult!

      Delete
  4. What a great top! I love the stripes. Your daughter is a wonderful photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. Great fabric choice and the fit is perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fun stylish top! I love stripes! I'm rubbish at 'selfish sewing'. I started a dress last October, thinking I'd make it in time for Christmas...um...well, it's still in my sewing drawer. But you've inspired me to try to finish it. Although sadly it won't be this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous Suz, love the stripes. My 9 year old is my official photographer and he is so patient and good at it now - he's been doing it for several years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fantastic job, I think the style and fit is perfect on you. Isabella did well to snap at least two useable photos, I am sure there were many taken of your feet too if she is anything like my girls with a camera in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great shirt! I love anything with stripes and this looks so comfy! I made something for Selfish Sewing Week and my 3 1/2 year old took the pictures. She had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Suz, it's a great style on you! Well done on the photos Issie :) Anna tries but the camera is too heavy for her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! I want an adult bimaa. DO YOU HEAR THAT SARAH? GET TO WORK!

    haha, and your little photographer is much better than the Husband Photographer! ahah. I had to deal with that today and yikes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think Sarah could do very well from all three being converted to adult sizes:) look forward to seeing what you have made:)

      Delete
  12. super cute!! I havent even cut one thing out yet... but i have intentions of making two tops for myself this week :o) Great work on your shirt... I love the color!
    Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it! the color is great and you look adorable :) ps. didn't comment on last post but i'm still totally bummed that you're out of pr&p. blarg :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. woah it looks so great on you! sarah definitely needs to get to work on an adult bimaa - the sewing world DEMANDS it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. woah it looks so great on you! sarah definitely needs to get to work on an adult bimaa - the sewing world DEMANDS it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great on you! Love the color! I need to indulge more in selfish sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great on you Suz :-)
    I think there could be an opportunity for everyone participating to do a selfish sewing photo shoot bloopers post. I imagine there will be heaps of blurry, decapitated shots from kid photographers! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me encantan esas rayas... muy bonito!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! Looks great on you! Great idea changing up the Bimaa to adult size :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks great. I love cowl necks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! What a fab make! The red & white stripes are gorgeous!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO AWESOME, Suz! You are adorable :D I'm still blown away that this is a Bimaa!

    Brava, my friend, brava!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love everything about your outfit!Shape, fabric, fitting, styling... All perfect!
    I have to start sewing for me! And I have to buy an serger and start sewing with knits...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Suz, this is awesome! Ok, I think you've given me the courage to try this for myself. Love the stripes on you! Great color.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Suz, I was just thinking to myself that I needed an adult version of the Bimaa sweater and then bam, I stumbled on your post (which strangely I had previously missed!?). This is just lovely! If my version turns out anything close to yours, I'll be a happy happy girl!

    Natalie
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seriously this is awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a great idea, looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼