Selfish Sewing Week//Garment Three: Washi dress

September 27, 2013


Here is my third garment for Selfish Sewing Week.  My first washi dress!  I have not made myself a dress for about ten years!!  And I absolutely love this one...


I laughed yesterday when I read Ros' post on her first washi dress, saying she was probably the last sewing blogger to sew up this pattern.  Nope...here's mine!  I actually first saw this dress about a year ago when my sister Jules (who is also a keen sewer) bought the PDF and made it up in a grey and white polka dot voile with neon pink piping - cool!  I loved the pattern and since we share all our patterns, I promptly traced a copy and filed it away for later.  I am not a total washi virgin...I made the tunic about seven months ago here.


So here we are a year later and this week and this lucky fabric find spurred me on to make one.  The fabric was from a lucky stash I was kindly given my the mother of a friend.  My friend's Mum used to be a keen sewer and is still a fabric lover.  She collected fabric from all over the world and this is one of them.  She kindly donated a box of fabric of my choosing which included wools, denim, some cottons, velveteen, broderie anglaise and this lovely cotton - which has a seersucker texture.  I really love the detail in this fabric - unfortunately I am not sure of it's origin.  I think it looks quite Parisian?



I just can't help putting my hands in the secret pockets in this dress - so comfy!  It happens to go well with my saltwater sandals...bonus.  I sewed up a size small which fits me nicely (I am an Aussie size 8/10 - usually 10).  I omitted the notched neckline.


My eldest sister is in Melbourne from out of town so I donned dress and brought my camera to the park with her, my brother in law and our collective brood where she took some snaps - Thanks Jack.
 


Gotta have a go on the swings when I go to a park....

Hopefully I will have one more garment to share for Selfish Sewing Week....will see how I go tonight!!  Adding my pics and having a look at what other's have been making this week here.

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Love it Suz! ... and the fabric is perfect for the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!
    I wear my Washi's constantly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that fabric is fabulous perfect for that dress! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable Suz! I made a Washi tunic last year and have really gotten a lot of wear out of it. I hope to eventually get around to sewing a dress version. (p.s. I LOVE to swing when I'm att he park with my kids... it'll probably start embarrassing them soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Suz! How nice to get fabric from friends! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great getting all that fabric! The dress is great and love it with the sandals. Swinging is still so much fun, even as an adult! I haven't made a Washi for myself but I have made numerous Geranium dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love it! you look beautiful! ....and look at you go on that swing!!

    mezz

    ReplyDelete
  8. This fabric looks totally made for a wash dress - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! this looks really good on you. I love the photo of you on the swing. So pretty young, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful dress, love the fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this dress really suits you!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Suz :) The tunic is great, too :) I think I am going to be the last blogger to make a Washi dress haha I haven't even bought a pattern yet (although already got fabric for it). Love the photo on the swing hahaha Nice new profile pic, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! It fits you so well - and the fabric is so pretty!
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼