Pattern progress...My next dress/tunic pattern.

November 27, 2013

I am a slow pattern designer as I am full time Mum with no childcare and all my kids are at home...so I can only work at night.  I have been working on a new dress/tunic pattern for the past couple of months on and off. You may have seen the first official one here.  (I did also make one prior to this - here, but have since decided not to incorporate the sleeves on this version as they are too bulky, being lined, to turn through the narrow shoulder passage when turning right side out).
 
The pattern is taking me a while as there are many options (five sleeve/bodice options plus tunic length option), and it has also taken me a couple of test runs to establish the best order to construct the dress.  Here are two versions you've not yet seen.  Sleeveless with optional peter pan collar, and flutter sleeves (tunic length).  I have named the pattern, but will let you know all about it closer to the pattern release.
 
Here is the first one....
This vintage inspired print is too dark to show off the lines of the dress but I think it is still sweet with the contrasting yellow peter pan collar. 
This version features flutter sleeves and is tunic length.  I opted for just one pocket on this version, whereas the pattern has two. 
So if the green dress is too dark, this one is a little light to properly display the lines!!! I must pick a 'medium' colour for my next one!!  Although I do love this soft little print - picked up from Spotlight.
So this is what I still have to do to develop this pattern:
  • Remake strapped version and photograph stages;
  • Make short puffed sleeve version and photograph stages;
  • Finish (I started a sweet velveteen version a couple of months ago) long puffed sleeve version and photograph;
  • Put together the tutorial and all measurement tables
  • Have pattern tested
So....there is a bit to do!! I think it might be ready for testing early next year. With December just around the corner, I hope this is an accurate prediction!

Meanwhile, I have been working on another pattern!  It is less complicated and I have just finished the prototype tonight....  I did things a bit differently with developing this pattern.  I created the pattern completely (grading, digitizing) before making the garment.  Previously, I have thought up the design, made it in one size and then worked on grading and digitising.  The third pattern I am working on is a knit top/vest, and since it only needs a few tweaks and will be ready before my dress pattern.  I have two more versions to make up and then will create the tutorial, put it all together and have the pattern ready for testing.

Please come back tomorrow to see it!!

You Might Also Like

30 comments

  1. I really like that curved bodice line! It's a beautiful touch; I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou:) it is sort of a slightly curved v shaped bodice. You can see the lines best on the first link I have in this post- the pastel striped strapped dress:)

      Delete
  2. It's so adorable! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the options, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suz, your work rate is amazing!! 3 series on the go, producing patterns and sewing for other bloggers series'. Not sure how you do it - not much sleep ?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee:) I feel like I am not as fast as some with the patterns but this is just a hobby for me so I guess I am doing ok! I go to bed about eleven and am lucky my kids wake about 7.30:))

      Delete
  4. It's so lovely (and trust me, with 3 girls at home, you're fast ...)!
    I love this style of dress/top - looks perfect in every fabric and it works for any season. Can't wait for the pattern release :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet, that little yellow collar is rather irresistable on your munchkin. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness that is exhausting reading it all! But the pattern looks gorgeous so well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both the dress and the tunic are super sweet. I cannot wait until this pattern is available. The dress/tunic is sweet and can be worn anywhere from a playground to a special occasion (my type of kids clothes really). I love the shape of the yoke, it is not a secret both ladies in this household are obsessed with buttons, and I am drooling over all the options already... almost literally :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it! oh those little sleeves are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the positive feedback guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. having three kids at home and no childcare help, I have NO IDEA how you do any of this. Lol. NO idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shape if the yoke, very sweet! You are doing a lovely job, I'm so keen to learn to grade patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet! I love the different versions too.
    Your little models always make me smile - they're super-cute!!! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the flutter sleeve version! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really sweet! I experimented with a self-drafted V-shaped yoke recently and it was a disaster (I'll blog about it soon), so I can only imagine how much fiddling around this pattern takes. Am impatient for your version, after my botched attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. It has been fidlly which is why it istaking me a while!

      Delete
  15. Oh man...you must be exhausted! This is super sweet, though! May you sail through that checklist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh - so much work! And so adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to pattern test for you! This is an adorable dress and I ADORE peter pan collars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn:) this pattern won't be ready for testing til January:) I have a top Pattern that will be ready for testing in about ten days:)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼